Situated in a beautiful panoramic position, in Medieval times the walled borgo of Monte dei Bianchi constituted the religious centre of an anonymous feudal family. From the ancient monastery of St Michael, mentioned in the most remote lists of the diocese of Luni, are conserved merely traces of the Roman period. In the same way remain signs of the ancient castle which stands out on the summit of the hills. A major monastery of extreme antiquity already existed from 760 A.D. when Ato, son of the Longobard Eugneio, in his will left part of his wealth to the priest Fratellus for the construction of such a monastery. Then in 1106, Pope Pasquale 11 sent a Benedictine monk, Bernardo of the Uberti, who, on meeting with with the grandsons of Rudolf of Casola and the sons of Bosone, decided to follows their pleas and construct a monastery dedicated to St Michael. The monastery was rectified by the Canonici Regolari monks or the White Monks or Rocchexiani. From here originated the name of the village, Monte dei Bianci. The family who owned this land were called the White people of the Erberia, originally Longobard subjects. “De Herberia” because they came from Rubiera in the province of Modena which was once called Herberia. The monastery enjoyed a certain splendour between the 13th & 16th centuries up until the disappearance of the family with the start of the rule of the Malaspinas in Lunigiana.