Villages, castles and nature for your holiday
Situated on a panoramic hill, Monte de'Bianchi was an important religious centre in the Middle Ages for the Bianche d'Erberia family, Longobard vassals from nearby Emilia. The first traces of this village date back to 760 A.D. when construction of the monastery began, as we learn from an inheritance from a nobleman of the time, but the main part of the building was constructed in 1106 by the regular canons, known as Monaci Bianchi, and enjoyed a certain splendour until the 13th and 14th centuries with the beginning of the domination of the Malaspina family over the whole of Lunigiana. Today, only a few traces of the Romanesque period remain of this ancient monastery, as well as the ancient castle that dominated the hill on which the village stands. From here the visitor enjoys a beautiful view of the Lucido Valley below and the rocky walls of the Apuan Alps. Through a walk among vineyards and olive groves, which for centuries have characterised the landscape around the village, it is possible to reach the village of Monzone in the valley bottom or Equi Terme.